Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Internet is Killing Me

The Internet is killing me. Or, more accurately, I’m killing myself with the Internet. And movies, TV shows, video games… basically anything I can find to distract me.


This brings me to a very difficult place. Because as much trash as there is on any of the above, I have been uplifted and inspired by each of them at times. Not to mention the appropriateness of just zoning out sometimes.


But even good things can become bad if they get in the way of better things. Not bad in of themselves, but bad in certain contexts. For example, I am apparently unable to regulate my free time in a healthy way. Instead of using and enjoying these mediums, they end up controlling me and sucking up all my free time. I don’t mind giving them their rightful place, but they have encroached upon other territory and have prevented me from doing what I actually want to do.


Of course, I speak as if “they” were doing anything at all, but actually it’s just my inability to prioritize.


Thus, I declare a fast. Until January 18, 2010. Forty days of fasting… or at least rationing. I’m not exactly sure how this is going to go, but for starters:


  1. My fasting applies only to my own free time, but not necessarily to social time. So if you want to go to a movie with me, that’s cool. But I’m not going to sit down and watch a movie by myself just to be distracted or pass the time or whatever.

  1. Which brings me to actual guidelines for my free time:

    1. No TV shows, movies, or video games.
    2. Internet is limited to 1 hour a week (30 min on Wed. and 30 min on Sunday).

  1. I think I will not restrict music or books. Though these do have the same potential as the others, I haven’t noticed a problem with these. But I’ll keep an eye on them to see if they creep in.

  1. At the end of forty days, I can reevaluate myself and do whatever seems appropriate. Perhaps I will be able to overcome my lameness.

I feel strange tell you all this, because it seems like quite a personal matter. But I feel that I will be more accountable if I write about this experiment on here. I’ll try to post something every week or two for those of you who are curious.

3 comments:

Krystal Irrgang said...

Well if you concerned that it is too personal, it only exposes to others that you are right along side them with similar circumstances. I hope that this works out for you. I still have to figure out if I want to tame this Internet beast.

Matthew said...

Fascinating. I was just talking about these things with someone yesterday. Hmm. Good luck!

Melissa said...

i admire you! many have the same problem and do nothing about it (cough cough)... hmmm... seems I need some water.

:)

Post a Comment