Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Entertianment Fast, Day 7

So I cheated a few times this week with the Internet, and while I shouldn't have, at least I was very focused and didn't end up wasted a lot of time.

Fasting from TV, movies, and games wasn't so bad. There were a few times when I was bored and watched to watch something, but I ended up reading or writing instead. And that was cool because I've made a lot of progress on the two books I'm currently writing, plus I read a couple books I've been wanting to read for a while.

The interesting thing about this all, at least in relation to the Internet, is how "out of the loop" I felt. Like there was this mild panicky feeling that I was missing out on the comings and goings of the social world online.

Of course, I wasn't. All the Facebook updates and emails between Wed and Sun, and between Sun and now were still there for me to read when I got online. No big deal.

I'm not saying it isn't difficult at times, but I think it is good, and I think as the weeks go it will get better. I should have done this a long time ago, even felt impressed to do it over five months ago, but I kept putting it off. It just seemed too improbable: there were TV shows I wanted to watch, fantasy football stats I had to keep track of, books to promote, and...... I feel like there were a lot more reasons, but I can't think of anything substantial anymore, lol.

I felt like doing this would make me feel restricted, but in actuality I feel more freedom to do what I actually want. I don't wake up in the morning and instantly get sucked into the black hole that is my computer. I have time to just sit and think and read or write. And I don't get stuck watching TV or playing games endlessly. I feel like I have more focus.

So now I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to do once this fast is over. I don't think I want to keep such tight restrictions, but like I mentioned, I do enjoy the freedom I feel. I need to work out some kind of balance. Maybe it will come naturally as I break away from bad habits.

Sorry this is kind of random and scattered. I'll write more later next week perhaps.

1 comments:

Adelina said...

I didn´t read this until now, but I wanted to say that I am glad you are making progress in areas you felt impressed and desired to. It really is great.

Post a Comment